NEEDED ASAP* I’VE ATTACHED BIBLIOGRAPHY. PAPER MUST BE ON ASSIGNED TOPIC OF PERSONALITY AND argue THESE STATEMENTS.
Low self esteem is a major cause of psychological problems.
Astrology (the zodiac signs) can accurately predict peopleâ€™s personality traits.
Personality is genetically determined (i.e., nature) and character trains cannot change over time (via nurture).
Fact or Fiction?
The final assignment for this course is a paper. The purpose of the Final Paper is for you to explore a topical area and apply critical insight to discern fact from fiction. You will review the available evidence for a commonly held belief and provide a conclusion regarding the merit of this claim by describing concepts in core psychological domains and examining variations in psychological functioning.
You have already selected your topic from the list below in Week Three of the course to complete an annotated bibliography. These sources should inform your thinking and assist you in making a conclusion regarding the â€œtruthâ€ (i.e., scientific validity) of a commonly held belief. You must continue with your selected topic unless you have received permission from your instructor otherwise. Click here for the various topic options that are available.
- To begin, gather a minimum of five peer-reviewed, scholarly sources on the topic you selected. Much of this was completed in the Week 3 Annotated Bibliography, but you will likely find gaps in your information as you begin to write and need to locate more material to fully inform your thinking. Visit the Ashford Library to obtain your scholarly articles.
- As you read each article, make notes about what you have read and what it means to you, as well as how it supports your topic, in order to assist you in the process of writing. Click here for additional information on how to successfully summarize information from an article.
- After you have read and considered these sources, write a paper in which you summarize psychological theory and research that is pertinent to this topic. The paper should appraise the evidence contained within your articles, supporting and/or contradicting the statement you have chosen to examine. Your task is to distinguish whether or not this commonly held belief accurately represents psychological knowledge of the topic and discuss your conclusions.
- If theory and research in psychology suggest that the statement is false (i.e., it is instead bubba or pop psychology), infer an alternative truth based on the literature.
- If the theory and research in psychology suggest that the statement is true, point out how the research supports the statement.
Note: Using headings within your writing can assist you in organizing your thoughts more successfully. For more information about using heading, please click here.
- Must be five to seven double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- A header
- Title of paper
- Studentâ€™s name
- Course name and number
- Instructorâ€™s name
- Date submitted
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
- Must utilize academic voice.
- Must paraphrase material, avoiding direct quotes.
- Minimal quotes are used within the writing. (No more than 2-3 sentences.). For more information about how to synthesize your writing, please visit the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must address the topic with critical thought.
- Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms the thesis.
- Must use at least five peer-reviewed scholarly sources. Additional scholarly sources are encouraged. Be sure to integrate your research smoothly rather than simply inserting it.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined here and here.
- Must include a separate reference page that is formatted according to APA style.