By the early 18th century, the Ottoman Empire, which ruled the Middle East, was in decline. Weak rulers left the way open for power struggles between officials, religious experts, and Janissaries (Guards). Provincial administrators and landholders colluded to drain revenue from the central treasury. The general economy suffered from competition with the West as imported goods ruined local industry. European rivals took advantage of Ottoman weakness. The Austrian Habsburgs pushed the Ottomans from Hungary and the northern Balkans. The strengthened Russian state expanded into the Caucasus and Crimea. The subject Christian peoples of the Balkans challenged their rulers: the Greeks won independence in 1830, Serbia in 1867. By the 1870s, the Ottomans had lost nearly all of the Balkans, and their capital was often threatened by Balkan or Russian armies.
Faced with difficult challenges and the disintegration of the Ottoman Empire, Sultan Mahmud II initiated a set of reforms. Mahmudâ€™s successors followed with the Tanzimat, or â€œreorganization,â€ a sweeping set of reforms designed to modernize the Ottoman Empire.
In this Case Study, we will look at the Tanzimat Reforms and their effectiveness.
Read the information in the background material, look for more information, and then write a 3- to 5-page paper answering the following question:
- What were the Tanzimat Reforms and were they effective in allowing the Middle East to catch up to the West?
In the Module 4 Case Assignment, you are expected to:
- Describe the purpose of the paper and conclusion.
- Answer the Case Assignment questions clearly and provide necessary details.
- Provide a quality argument; that is, use good sentence structure, and avoid run-on sentences and spelling and grammar errors.
- Provide citations to support your argument and references on a separate page. Please use APA format to provide citations and references: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/ ; also, helpful information can be found in the Student Guide to Writing a High-Quality Academic Paper:http://support.trident.edu/files/Well-Written-Paper.pdf].
- Answer all the Case Assignment questions in an essay format instead of point format. Please do not type questions in the paper.
- Double space the paper.
Case Assignment Reading
Sowards, S. W. (2015, March 08). Lecture No. 11: Macedonia and the failure of Ottoman reforms.Twenty-Five Lectures on Modern Balkan History: http://staff.lib.msu.edu/sowards/balkan/lect11.htm
Goodwin, K. (2006). The Tanzimat Reforms and the Problem of Political Authority in the Ottoman Empire: 1839â€“1876. Rhode Island College. Honors Project.