To better understand what Kozol’s research shows us about schooling in the U.S., and all the many social problems and relate to it, I’d like you to watch a lecture Kozol gave that will help you understand his passion for this issue and learn more about all that he has uncovered in his research.
Jonathan Kozol: Education in America (1 of 6) film on you tube
To conclude our discussion of inequalities in American education, please write a reflection paper discussing your responses to what you have learned. Your paper should be 2 pages or more in length, typed and double spaced. You may discuss any aspect of what you learned from the textbook reading and videos on Jonathan Kozol. For example, you might discuss:
- How you feel when hearing and reading about racially segregated and impoverished schools
- Whether you knew about these problems before this lesson and whether you believe most Americans are aware of them
- What you think America should do, if anything, about these inequalities, and how you think we should do it
- How what you learned about inequalities in schooling compares to your own schooling experiences
- Questions and comments you have about sociological theories about education or about the particular types of inequalities explored in your textbook (e.g., the causes of differential achievement by race and/or gender)