Events and/or experiences in life can bump us off our normal human developmental trajectory. As a human service provider, you may have the opportunity to use a variety of interventions. An intervention is something you do with a client that helps them get â€œback on track.â€
For example: This assignment will give you an opportunity to practice an intervention skill. You are asked to do the following:
- Ask someone you know to act as your client in this learning process. Your volunteer must be willing to play the part of a client with an issue that will be presented in the intervention session.
- The session should last approximately 30 minutes. (Â± 5 min)
- During the session, you need to demonstrate the following skill:
- Statement of encouragement to identify one or more client strengths
- Use Reflective listening
- Use of open questions
- Use an intervention with the client
- Video record your counseling intervention with your client
- When setting up the video recorder, please position the camera so that both you and your â€œclientâ€™s/friendâ€™sâ€ faces are visible.
Along with copy of the file, please submit a written overview using the following format:
- Indicate the name of your client (alias name only)
- Describe the client profile (e.g., age, race, appearance during session, other relevant contextual information)
- Identify the clientâ€™s goal(s) for the session
- Any other relevant information about the client
- Describe the physical surroundings of where the session is held
- Indicate the general mood of your client before, during, and following the session
- What visible clues reaffirm or concern you as you have counseled the client
- Describe the content of the session (e.g., topics discussed)
- Describe the clientâ€™s hopes/fears
- Describe the clientâ€™s response to the information discussed
- Describe your own thoughts and feelings during this experience
There is no need for HD quality video. Please save your video as a medium quality file (such as you would do for a YouTube upload). Use one of the standard formats such as .wmv, .avi, .mp4, and .mov.