Assignment 2: Discussionâ€”Psychology and the Criminal Justice System
The application of psychological theory, assessment, and clinically informed judgment within the context of the criminal justice system are a few of the duties performed by forensic psychologists. Risk assessment to identify violent offenders and their propensity for future violence is often a critical step in the legal process to inform treatment recommendation and sentencing. Various empirically validated tools are necessary to evaluate and identify the specific traits of offenders prone to recidivism and violence. Despite this, there remains a debate regarding the accuracy of these predictions and their utility. As a result, this is a topic worthy of further examination and discussion.
Using the readings for this module, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, respond to the following:
- Based on the information presented and examined in this course, discuss the importance of psychology in the criminal justice system.
- Examine the traits that distinguish between non-violent and violent offenders.
- State your opinion on whether recidivism and violent behavior can be accurately predicted.
Give reasons and support your statements with scholarly references and appropriate examples.
Write your initial response in approximately 300 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
By Sunday, July 10, 2016, post your response to the appropriate Discussion Area. Through Wednesday, July 13, 2016, review and comment on at least two peersâ€™ responses. Cover the following:
- Provide contradictions and counter examples supported by class readings.
- Question, disagree, redirect, or ask your classmate to rethink what they have posted and why.
- Briefly mention which points of the previous posting you are responding to in your comments.
Grading Criteria and Rubric