paper 12306263 2
· Select one public policy that currently is impacting you and your practice. Consider the following:
o What health care driver was the policy designed to address: cost, quality, access, or a combination?
o Does the policy appear to be achieving its intended results? On what data are you basing your assumption?
o What have been the effects (adverse or positive) of this policy on health care cost, quality, and access?
o How is this policy affecting your nursing practice?
· Next, select a health care issue—something you see or experience on a daily basis—about which you would like to influence a practice change through the policy process.
· Review the Learning Resources, focusing on Kingdon’s Model. How would you utilize this model to guide your policy development?
· Review Chapter 3 of Milstead, J. A. (2012). Health policy and politics: A nurse’s guide (Laureate Education, Inc., custom ed.). Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett Publishers
· In the first assignment, you reflected on whether the policy you would like to promote could best be achieved through the development of new legislation, or a change in an existing law or regulation. Refine as necessary using any feedback from your first paper.
· Contemplate how existing laws or regulations may affect how you proceed in advocating for your proposed policy.
· Consider how you could influence legislators or other policymakers to enact the policy you propose.
· Think about the obstacles of the legislative process that may prevent your proposed policy from being implemented as intended.
Part Two will have approximately 3–4 pages of content plus a title page and references. Part Two will address the following:
· Explain whether your proposed policy could be enacted through a modification of existing law or regulation or the creation of new legislation/regulation.
· Explain how existing laws or regulations could affect your advocacy efforts. Be sure to cite and reference the laws and regulations using primary sources.
· Provide an analysis of the methods you could use to influence legislators or other policymakers to support your policy. In particular, explain how you would use the “three legs” of lobbying in your advocacy efforts.
o Summarize obstacles that could arise in the legislative process and how to overcome these hurdles.