Many people consider terrorism, something that is perpetrated by foreigners against United States interests and citizens. However, terrorism can also be domestic involving homegrown threats to society.
Review the following documents:
- Baton Gellman, The Secret World of Extreme Militias, September 30, 2010, TIME, http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2022636,00.html
- Southern Poverty Law Center, The Second Wave: Return of the Militias, August 2009
- Council on Foreign Relations, Domestic Intelligence and the Boston Bombings, April 2013
Please respond to all of the following prompts:
- Why is it so difficult to prevent domestic terrorist attacks? Do you think domestic terrorism poses as much of a threat as international terrorism?
- Do you think that terrorists, who are born and raised in the United States like Timothy McVeigh, pose a greater threat to our country than international terrorists?