Based on your Reading in the text and your own research, respond to the following questions:
- Describe the process of policy development from the inception of an idea to the initial implementation of the policy, listing the individual steps along the way and the impact of various decision makers who may have a role in the development of the policy
- Discuss the impact of the concepts of funding, interpretation and implementation on the effectiveness of social policy.
- Next go to www.census.gov and find poverty data for both your county and state. Identify the number of people living in poverty, median household income, and children living in poverty. Be sure to provide a comparison between your county rate of poverty and state rate of poverty.
- From your Reading of Chapter 7, develop your own definition of poverty. Be sure to complete the exercise on page 292, developing your listing of essential and non essential items and responding to the four questions on page 293.
- Finally, discuss components of a successful policy to address your definition of poverty. Be specific in your response, both in terms of benefits to be provided, qualifications necessary to receive benefits and potential funding sources for your policy. Note: you may want to check back on www.cbpp.org or one of the legislative websites you have previously visited for updates being suggested or proposed to current poverty policies. Be sure to reference your sources.