Application: Influence of Victim-Offender Relationship on Crime Characteristics
The first United States legislation outlawing marital rape passed in 1975 (Barden, 1987). Until that pointâ€”and well into the 1990sâ€”the courts in many U.S. jurisdictions upheld a man’s right to enact sexual violence against his wife. Many of the twentieth century U.S. laws viewed wives as the property of their husbands. In spite of its current illegal status in the United States, sexual assault against women by intimate partners remains a concern. Among 19.3% of women who reported having been raped in their lifetime, 43% of those were raped by an “intimate partner” (Tjaden & Thoennes, 1998). In nearly all cases of child rape, the acts occurred at the hands of a relative (World Health Organization, 2011).
A significant portion of violent crime occurs among acquaintances, friends, and relatives. The convenience of proximity may serve as an influential element in these cases. Might it also be the case that “familiarity breeds contempt”?
For this Assignment, review the case in this week’s Interactive Community. Consider which factors may have contributed to the victimization in the case. Then think about how the victim-offender relationship may have influenced the crime. Finally, consider interventions that might have been used to prevent the crime from occurring.
The Assignment (2â€“3 pages):
- Visit the Interactive Community and follow the instructions to access this week’s media. (THE MEDIA IS POSTED BELOW TITLED “Victim-offender relationships“
- Explain which factors may have contributed to the victimization in the case study and explain how.
- Explain how the relationship between the victim and the offender may have influenced the type of crime, the location of the crime, and the type of weapon used.
- Explain two types of interventions that might have been used to prevent this crime from occurring and how.
Two or three pages with at least three references….
It is important that you cover all the topics identified in the assignment. Covering the topic does not mean mentioning the topic BUT presenting an explanation from the readings.
To get maximum points you need to follow the requirements listed for this assignments 1) look at the page limits 2) review and follow APA rules 3) create SUBHEADINGS to identify the key sections you are presenting and 4) Free from typographical and sentence construction errors.
REMEMBER IN APA FORMAT JOURNAL TITLES AND VOLUME NUMBERS ARE ITALICIZED.
- Davis, R. C., Lurigio, A. J., & Herman, S. (Eds.). (2013). Victims of crime 4th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Chapter 16, â€œThe Reoccurrence of Victimization: Terminology, Extent, Characteristics, Correlates, and Preventionâ€
- Card, N. A., & Hodges, E. V. (2010). It takes two to fight in school, too: A social relations model of the psychometric properties and relative variance of dyadic aggression and victimization in middle school. Social Development, 19(3), 447â€“469.
- Gartner, R., & MacMillan, R. (1995). The effect of victim-offender relationship on reporting crimes of violence against women. Canadian Journal of Criminology, 37(3), 393â€“429.
- Heller, M.S., Ehrlich, S. M., & Lester, D. (1983). Victim-offender relationships and severity of victim injury. Journal of Social Psychology, 120(2), 229â€“234.
- Woods, L., & Porter, L. (2008). Examining the relationship between sexual offenders and their victims: Interpersonal differences between stranger and non-stranger sexual offences. Journal of Sexual Aggression, 14(1), 61â€“75.
- Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2012). Victim-offender relationships. Baltimore, MD: Author.