Ashford 4: – Week 3 – Assignment 1
Article Critique: Self-Disclosure, Gender, and Communication
Review the article entitled, “Can we talk?” and Section 2.2 of our text titled “Biological Sex and Gender.” Based on what you’ve learned in these readings, write a two-page paper (excluding title and reference pages) about your thoughts on this article. In your paper, be sure to address the following:
- Can you relate to this article on self-disclosure in relationships? If so, explain what specifically you could relate to and provide examples of your own experiences. If not, what has your experience been regarding self-disclosure in your intimate relationships?
- Do you agree that self-disclosure is important and directly related to satisfaction in relationships? Why or why not?
- What about gender differences? Remember, although research has found differences in gender communication, it has also found similarities. What kind of similarities between genders have you experienced?
- Lastly, remember that although research is based on generalizations, not everyone fits into these generalizations regarding gender. Do you feel like you fit into the generalizations?
Be sure to reference the article and at least one of your other course readings from this week in your paper. This can be your textbook or one of the recommended articles. The paper must be formatted according to APA style. Cite your resources in text and on the reference page. For information regarding APA samples and tutorials, visit the Ashford Writing Center, within the Learning Resources tab on the left navigation toolbar.
The Ashford Writing Center (AWC) has two kinds of tutoring available to you.
- Live Chat – If you have writing-related questions about a topic before you draft a discussion post or submit a written assignment, you will now be able to chat live with a tutor for a short (up to 20 minute) conversation. Live Chat will be available Monday through Friday from 10:00-11:00 am and 4:00-5:00 pm (PST). AWC Live Chat
- Email Paper Review – If you have a draft, partial draft, or even if you’re having trouble getting started, you can complete a submission form and email your paper to the AWC for review.
- Writing Tutors will do their best to return your paper with their comments within 48 hours, not including Saturdays and Sundays. Please plan accordingly if you would like to receive feedback before an assignment due date. AWC Email Paper Review
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.
Late Policy: Written assignments (essays, journals, presentations) are due on the specified days in the course. Written assignments will be subject to a late penalty of up to 10% per day up to three days late. If written assignments are submitted after 72 hours past the due date, instructors can give a penalty up to and including a grade of 0 for the assignment.