Capstone Research Report in Political Science
This summative assignment is an original research report on a current topic in political science or government. This research report will be conducted incrementally throughout the course building on several written assignments submitted during the course.
The goal of this summative assignment is for each student to address a relevant topic and investigate the topic through use of the scientific method and research methodology in order to analyze their research question.
The research report will be conducted in several distinct steps.
The Final Research Paper should be eight to ten pages in length and utilize at least eight sources; three of which must come from the Ashford Online Library.
The completed Research Paper must include the following components:
- Introduction to the topic issue and research question
- Discussion of the research hypothesis and existing research
- Discussion of independent variables and dependent variables analyzed with research findings.
- Analysis of the variables and the outcomes of the research
- Research conclusions and other areas that may need further research to adequately address the policy problem.
Students must provide a copy of their final bibliography with the Final Paper. The bibliography is not included in the page count.
Writing the Final Research Paper
The Final Research Paper:
- Must be eight to ten double-spaced pages in length and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the APA style guide.
- Must include a cover page that includes:
- Title of paper
- Studentâ€™s name
- Course name and number
- Instructorâ€™s name
- Date submitted
- Must include an introductory paragraph with a succinct thesis statement.
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
- Must conclude with a restatement of the thesis and a conclusion paragraph.
- Must use at least eight academic resources, including a minimum of three from the Ashford Online Library.
- Must use APA style as outlined in the approved APA style guide to document all sources.
Must include, on the final page, a Reference Page that is completed according to APA style as outlined in the approved APA style guide.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.