Image of Berniniâ€™s Ecstasy of St.Teresa: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3e/
Image of Caravaggioâ€™s Crucifixion of St. Peter: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f7/Caravaggio_-_Martirio_di_San_Pietro.jpg/300px-Caravaggio_-_Martirio_di_San_Pietro.jpg
The Protestant Reformation and the Roman Catholic Counter-Reformation had major influences on the Western art world, out of which Baroque art would emerge. Artists and artworks became an essential arm of the church, needed to inspire faith and commitment within an institution that found itself destabilized by this schism. Though Baroque artists continued to use the vocabulary of ancient Greeks and Romans, as had Renaissance artists, there were major shifts in how religious imagery would be depicted. Compare two Baroque artworks, Gian Lorenzo Berniniâ€™s sculpture Ecstasy of St. Teresa with Caravaggioâ€™s painting, Crucifixion of St. Peter, in order to identify and discuss this shift in religious imagery. Again, give a formal analysis of each painting in order to distinguish the different approaches of these two artists, but this time pay close attention to light, movement, and theatricality. Make a brief comparison to Renaissance art in order to illustrate the shift in art periods. Use the required course materials to help you discuss, briefly, (1) the history of Baroque art and these two artists in particular, (2) the role of the church, and (3) how Bernini and Caravaggio differently conveyed faith and commitment to the church.
It is important to note that this assignment is your second introduction to Art History and Art Criticism, so it is imperative that you continue to exercise your ability to visually analyze. The required course materials, under â€œHow To Write About Art: Art Criticism and Formal Analysis,â€ will continue to aid you in developing these skills.
Here are five keys to writing a great Case Assignment! For each Case in this course, please:
- Make sure you fully address the case assignment prompt- don’t just describe the painting and donâ€™t forget to â€˜really lookâ€™ at the painting. Be sure to respond to the expectations stated under “Learning Outcomes” in the Syllabus.
- Apply ideas from the background readings to your analysis and discussion of the case assignment prompt.
- Write, at minimum, three to four pages, not including images or references.
- Include a separate cover page that includes your name, the course name, the module, and assignment name.
- Set your format to 1″ margins on all four sides, 12-point font, double-spaced.
Include a separate cover AND reference page at the end that includes every website and article on which you base your information and analysis. In the reference list, please note that a URL with no additional information is not a complete reference. Over time, link root will make any URL useless. Each reference should contain all the information a reader would need to find the source.
In this Case Assignment, you will:
- Give an explanation of the valuesâ€”influences, themes, techniques, subjectsâ€”characteristic of the period or style under study.
- Give some information about how the social, political, or religious history of the period influenced its art and artists.
- Provide biographical information about the artist whose work is assigned or (in SLP assignments) chosen for reflection.
THE PAPER HAS TO BE WRITTEN THE WAY ITS SHOWS IN THE REQUIRED READING IF NOT IT WILL BE WRONG.
BE SURE TO CITE 3-4 TIMES AND HAVE REFERENCES WITH A SEPERATE REFERENCE PAGE WITH LINKS INCLUDED.