The essay question will be reiterated and explained in further detail in the weeks preceding the due date, however, the assigned essay question is the following:
1) A patient enters the emergency room with stomach pain. She undergoes routine analysis and is diagnosed with an abdominal aortic aneurysm, a weakening in the wall of the aorta which causes it to stretch and bulge. The physicians inform her that the only way to fix the problem is surgically, and that the chances of survival are approximately 50%. They also inform her that time is of the essence, and that should the aneurysm burst, she would very likely be dead within a few short minutes. The patient is a swimsuit model and she has expressed concern about the scar the surgery will leave that may negatively affect her work. Even after much pressuring from the physicians, she continues to refuse surgery. Feeling that the woman is not in her correct state of mind and knowing that time is of the essence, the surgeons decide to perform the procedure without consent. They anesthetize her and surgically repair the aneurysm. She survives, and takes legal action against the hospital.
Do you believe that the physician’s actions can be justified in any way?
Please abide by the following guidelines for formatting:
1) 4-6 pages (double-spaced) excluding works cited/bibliography
2) NOexternal sources permitted (only sources from your textbook are acceptable)
3) 12-point Times New Roman font
4) 1â€ margins
5) Chicago-style (16th edition) citation method (either in-text or footnote) http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/tools_citationguide.html